To read more about how these figures were derived, click on any of the fields below. Go to accessible version of this data.
- Annual Private Support Raised
- Annual Private Support Raised is the sum total of gifts made to IU through IUF during the fiscal year. Annual Private Support includes gifts, pledges, planned gifts, membership installment plans, license plate revenue, and private sector grants. It does not include pledge payments, planned gift payments, and membership plan payments.
- Market Value of Endowment
- The market value of IUF’s pooled fund (commonly referred to as “the Endowment”) is the current worth of the fund’s investment in a wide range of asset classes such as stocks, private equity, and bonds among other vehicles. Endowment growth is affected by return on investments, gifts added to the endowment, and distributions made from the endowment to IU in accordance with donor intent.
- Investment Performance
- To judge the success of its investment decisions, IUF compares its pooled fund returns to a target weighted index. This customized index contains the appropriate weightings of various indices to mirror the weighting of the assets in the IUF portfolio. Over the long term, IUF investment performance has exceeded the benchmark target. Over the past decade, IUF has outperformed its target weighted benchmark by 0.6% per annum, realizing an actual 5-year rate of return of 5.3%, and 10-year return of 4.7%.
- Endowment Support Provided to the University
- IUF Pooled Fund Spending Policy controls the rate at which income is paid to IU through IUF held endowment accounts. The policy is designed to create a stable income stream that fulfills donor intended use of funds and provides for reinvestment in their endowment(s). The spending policy rate effective for fiscal year 2015-2016 was 4.59%